[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Dec 22 18:20:14 GMT 2009

> My monitor gamma and colour temperature is already factory calibrated to
>  sRGB. What I used to do was simply select my working colour space (wide
>  gamut) and my monitor colour space (sRGB) in digikam. Now I cannot do
>  this.
>
> This stuff is FAR too complicated. I had it working for me but now a
>  software change has stopped that from working.
>
> On a Mac I choose 2 profiles in the system settings and it's all done. On
>  Linux it appears I need to be able to write a thesis on colour management.
>  Why does it need to be so hard?

You're quite right about the system settings part here. Indeed, there should
be a tab in the system settings allowing you to specify a monitor profile.
This should then be loaded at start of X server and provided to application
via the X atom method outlined above.

_All this is outside the scope of digikam_

Digikam comes in when trying to find a monitor profile. If it finds one
specified by X, it will use it. I don't come up with a usecase where this
should not be done. Thus, the combo box is greyed out.

So the bug is twofold:
1) Distributions should package and install per default a tool to load a
monitor profile (argyllcms appears to be unpackagable though) and at least an
sRGB and an AdobeRGB-compatbible profile (if the Adobe profile package cannot
be installed per default due to license restrictions, dont know)
2) KDE system settings should provide the settings panel.