[Digikam-users] Offline Collections

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Aug 27 18:56:41 BST 2009

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to digikam and saw this thread about offline collections. Has
> anyone figured out a way to make this work? I'd like to keep
> thumbnails (large if possible) on my laptop and the full resolution
> files on an external drive that is sometimes connected but often not.
> I'd like the thumbnails and organizing tools always available for all
> images. Any ideas?
>
> I half expected this function to work since the database is local. I
> just thought I would double-click on a thumbnail of a remote photo and
> get an error, but still be able to add tags, etc.

You will see that currently the collection will disappear as soon as you
unplug the storage medium.
The planned behavior is of course that you can access all collections
including "offline" ones at any time.
Everything should work in the backend but we lack integration in the UI, like
showing a hint when someone tries to open an offline image. That's why it is
in fact disabled at the moment.

Marcel