[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Wed Aug 12 10:35:49 BST 2009

I tested this startup issue again and these are my results for a 50.000 images
collection:

1. MarbleWidget: 6s
2. Database Scan: 13s

I disabled MarbleWidget and tested it again, yes it is faster.
To measure the startup time, you need to always drop the disk caches,
otherwise the results are useless. As root:

sync
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

I then moved the AlbumManager::startScan() into a slot, that is called 100ms
after the DigikamApp constructor has been run.

This way it feels faster, the only drawback now is that the app appears empty,
and the images begin to fly in.
Still much better than waiting over 22 seconds for digiKam to appear.

I guess the best would be to have album scanning in its own thread, so that
scanning can be started while DigikamApp() is running through.

Is this possible? Can we run this in a separate thread?

I will attach the patch to this mail, so you can test it. On smaller
collections it works fine, on bigger a thread might be a good solution.

Andi