[Digikam-users] KiPi batch conversion

Dick Angus RJA-Linux at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 13 17:40:19 BST 2008

I originally saved all my photos as .tif. I have them all in albums with tags
and comments. As only .jpeg is now supported for IPTC and EXIF all that data
is saved only in the Digikam database. After doing a lot of reading I've
realized that .png is probably the best format for me. If I convert outside
of Digikam I drop all the tags and comments. I am trying to use the
Batch->Image Convert feature so that I can keep the tags and comments. Every
time I try this - the format is selected as .png, the compression tried at
different levels from 50% to 100%, and the number of pictures to convert
varying from 1 to all - I get this message:

:The 'convert' program from 'ImageMagick' has been stopped abnormally.

I am running the current version of Kubuntu, fully up to date, with
ImageMagick installed. I use ImageMagick for other things and it has always
worked well for me.

The message.log shows: Sep 13 10:30:22 me-desktop kernel: [  612.472915]
convert[6140]: segfault at 110d0730 eip 110d0730 esp bf8a55ac error 4

Has anyone else seen this or can you suggest a solution? TIA
--
An old mainframer getting modern