[Digikam-users] How to "integrate" digikam and gimp?

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 10:11:25 BST 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 22:39:31 Gerlando wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question, but I'm
> sure you can give me useful hints!
> I use Digikam 0.9.3 to manage my large (and always growing!) collection
> on photos, I use a lot comments and I find very useful tags and "stars"
> to organize my photos, and I use Gimp to edit them and to do things that
> Digikam (so far) can't do.
>
> The problem is when I open a photo with Gimp, I edit it, and save a
> copy: my copy is without any metadata, and I have to search it, and add
> manually comments, tags and stars.
> I'd like to find an easy way to copy metadata from the old version to
> the new one.
> Yes, it would be fantastic if it would be automatic, just like when I
> edit and save a copy using Digikam editor, but I understand that maybe
> it isn't easy to do! (it depends on digikam and gimp...)
>
> Installing kipi-plugins I've found a submenu with some commands to
> import metadata, but I couldn't find nothing to export it!
> It would be nice to have a couple of buttons, or something in the
> right-click menu to copy and paste metadata!
Notwithstanding Arnd's answers, there is an easy way to copy metadata from
image A to B: use the metadata import feature. I explain: choose the image
with the lost metadata (from Gimp) and import metadata from the original
image. All metadata (EXIF, Makernote, IPTC and XMP) will be imported, no
editing needed.

An easier solution is to use a newer Gimp version.

Gerhard