[Digikam-users] digiKam file browsing mode / using as image browser

Jürgen Scholz juergen at kernkraft400.com
Mon Nov 24 12:43:10 GMT 2008

Hello!

> Try to move an ikon just a little bit on the desktop... :)
;-)

> I've experienced is when quiting some of the KDE4 apps, it
> is eventually more related to the system being a 64bit.
I just checked the package reporisotry - there is no newer version
than 0.9.4. Currently I don't see that my situation would improve that
much by upgrading to 0.10, because I would have to compile this from
source. But I hope I will be able to check it out in Virtualbox to
take a look at it.

> Sounds you could be fast approaching the limits of direct
> filemanager-based user-interaction scheme, most growing
> businesses do in the end.
Not really. All documents ever produced on a computer since 1996 are
stored in this tree. The documents that are that old are mostly
DOS .txt files, but they are still there.
Because my dad thinks quite a bit when he does something the tree is
organized in a practical well and handles the documents and
corresponding photos very well. I don't think we have to switch to
something else in the near future. A reason for this is that the users
are very well trained which files go where and stuff.
The problem with that tree is: Over 10 years ago it was not designed
with digikam in mind. ;-)

Thanks,
  juergen