[Digikam-users] New search in digikam 0.10

Philippe Arnone philippe at arnone.org
Sun May 11 20:30:32 BST 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay between my first questions about search and my
proposal.

I think that the first advantage of a tool like digikam is to give users the
ability to search photo within the whole collection. Depending on each user,
it is quite easy to have thousands of photos to manage. That is even more
easy to have a huge amount of photography if you use digikam to manage all
photos taken by your family (wife, children,...). I do not want to talk about
professional photographer, because I'm not one of use :)

When you need to search within the thousand of photos, it is hard if you do
not manage in the right way your collection. Let's say that you use IPTC to
annotate the photos using all or part of IPTC fields.

I think that the tool search should permit to look at any IPTC fields or Exif
field. Today, it seems that it is possible to search for a lot of
IPTC/XMP/Exif tags. Until now, I only found one field that is not present,
but I think I know why, this field is the "Lens name". It is stored in the
markernote. It seems that it is not possible to search within the markernote.

Since my last comment, I played a lot with digikam 0.10 and found stuff that I
did not see before. The search tool seems complete (except search in
markernote). The more I use digikam, the more I enjoy it.

I think that it will be hard to follow the information that can be found in
the EXIF. To avoid this problem, why not imagine a "free" search for
all "tags" or metadata that do not have a specific search ?
It should be easy to have a free search. The user will choose the tag/metadata
name trough a list built from the database (which know all names).

I'm not sure that my ideas are clearly explained.

Cheers,

Philippe