[Digikam-users] How does one use digikam source for casual testing?

Lawrence Plug ljp at dal.ca
Fri May 9 15:42:51 BST 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:24:27PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> Lawrence Plug wrote:
>
> >> way to have "non-production" digikam use a different album root?
> >
> > And here is the simple question for which I do not have a simple
> > answer.. how to tell the svn digikam to use a different root.
> >
> > someone here should know?
> >
> > A workaround would be to run the svn digikam as a different user.
>
> in fact the problem is have two instances of digikam on the same user
> session.
>
> it's very easy with other products like firefox, but I don't know for
> digikam
>
> You already know, I suppose, that digikam database is related to the
> digikam root and can be easily modified (config, albums)
Yes.

 I'm suggesting that the svn digikam be run as a different user,
which would allow for a different digikam root (pointing to the
copy, so the OPs original remain 'safe').

I don't think its possible to have two instances on the same user
session. The KDE4 digikam is said to be more flexible in roots
(my understanding) but I don't know if it will address
'multiple-instance' issue.  I haven't compiled it yet.

cheers