[Digikam-users] How does one use digikam source for casual testing?

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Thu May 8 19:25:04 BST 2008

Dnia Thursday 08 of May 2008, Paul Waldo napisaƂ:
> Thanks for the reply, Lawrence.
>
> There are two main scenarios that I'm concerned about. The first is
> immediate and obvious image trashing. I do maintain backups; I have
> bacula write backups to a separate server every night. So, if the new
> software immediately trashes all my photos, I *could* restore them. I
> would certainly prefer to avoid that situation, though.
>
> The second scenario is much more insidious. Let's say that a bug causes
> image corruption that is not immediately obvious. Your image thumbnails
> look fine but, unbeknown to you, the bug has truncated your original
> image file. Imagine the feeling of dread when, seven months from now,
> you go to print that priceless image of your child as an infant, only to
> find out that image has a file size of zero. My backups only live for
> six months, so I'm out of luck.

Well, I am using digiKam for over four years and almost from the
beginning riding on cvs/svn. Never had any type of problems mentioned by
you.

Note that in bugzilla *are* reports about vanishing images or corrupted
ones. They are rarely confirmed and rather specific to some special
combination of software/hardware but sh* happens.

m.