[Digikam-users] kubuntu question related to digikam

Gandalf Lechner gandalf.lechner at univie.ac.at
Tue Mar 18 18:34:57 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have a question which strictly speaking is not a digikam question; but since
I experience a problem in relation with digikam maybe someone here can help.

So the situation is the following: Since I hate to wait and like new features,
I usually use the svn version of digikam and the associated libraries
(libkdcraw, libkexvi2, libkipi etc).
When installing the compiled libraries, I by now know that I first have to
remove the library version installed from the kubuntu packages for digikam to
work. That's a bit annoying, but ok, so I remove the package libraries with
dpkg and command line options to ignore all the dependencies, and then
install the compiled versions - works fine. However, when there is a new
version of the libraries put into the repositories, the usual apt-get
update/upgrade complains about a broken system.
I somehow need to tell the package management system "hey, I have the compiled
libraries here, these are newer than the ones from the repositories" to stop
it complaining.

I'm sure there are also other kubuntu users on this list, and maybe the
situation is the same in debian, too. So does anybody know how to solve this
in such a way that svn checkouts and apt-updates work together better?

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance,

Gandalf