[Digikam-users] exif writing

jdd jdd at dodin.org
Tue Feb 5 17:31:27 GMT 2008

Arnd Baecker a écrit :

>> I said this only to show I did search the
>> archives :-), and also to show this is not a new problem
>
> OK  - and now? Do you want something to be done about it?
> Without BKO entry nothing will happen and the problem
> will get lost again ...

it can be lost also with a bko entry (I know, I do beta testing for
several products). My goal is to know if this is a problem particular
to me or well known, hence the use of the list first and I probably
was right doing so, read ahead...

> Works perfectly fine here.
> Tested with a jpg file, debian etch, digikam 0.9.4-svn,
> kde 3.5.5, Kipi 0.1.6, KExiv2 0.1.7, Exiv2 0.16-pre1.

I'm puzzled.

exactly what I did :

* copy my photos on a special folder inside digikam album.
* open digikam, make some edits.
* begin adding comments.
* notice they are not written to the file
* remember the setup and go to configure, tick the "write on metadata".
* add comments to some (20/30) photos
* quit digikam (file/exit)
* notice the comment where not in the photos.
* open again digikam, see the comments, try "sync the database" with
no change, so go to the mailing list...

* right now, open digikam, the comments are there in digikam (but not
in the photos.
* to make test, in Konqueror, copy the folder and the photos inside to
a new folder, next to the old one (digikam closed).
* all the digikam comments are gone, even on the old folder.

* now the comment writing works perfectly on many tests photos...
* the comments are gone, none of them can be seen, even in the digikam
database...

I tryed to turn back to the unset config, then on but can't repruduce
the problem.

I can only suppose the problem come from the fact the initial photos
where included in the album when the setup was not to write to the
exifs (and the database come from several old digikam versions). At a
moment (may be because I copied the folder, giving duplicate names of
photos, even if in different folders??)

as I can't reproduce the problem, it's probably not worth opening a
bko, this thread is enough to find reference if ever this happen again.

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net