[Digikam-users] From F-Spot to digiKam....

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:18:59 BST 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 17:27:44 Marcin Kasperski wrote:
> I managed to move my photos (including tags) from F-Spot to digiKam.
> It required some scripting, so maybe it will be of some interest
> to somebody:
> http://blog.mekk.waw.pl/archives/12-Moving-images-from-F-Spot-to-digiKam.ht
>ml
>
> I am also curious, why digiKam failed to find tags embedded in images
> (for example Flickr extracted them properly). Is it a program bug, my
> mistake, or something else?
>
> PS With all those people moving back and forth between Gnome and KDE,
> maybe it could make sense to embed similar procedure (read F-Spot
> database and extract the data from there) in digiKam?

I import a lot of photos from Photoshop and Aperture with no problems
importing the metadata into digiKam (it is rather annoying sometimes as it
creates tag trees all over the show, and I have to integrate/delete them
afterwards).

So I wonder why you can't read your F-spot metadata. Can you give it a try and
run exiv2 on the original images from F-spot?
$ exiv2 -pi *.jpg (or whatever format your images have)

If you see IPTC data then digiKam will see them too. Otherwise I'd guess that
there is a problem with the metadata of the images.

Gerhard