[Digikam-users] Digikam video support

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:26:52 BST 2008

2008/4/11, Mike Meiser <groups-yahoo-com at mmeiser.com>:
> So,
>
>  With Flickr offering video support and it being the first mainstream
>  media posting site to support both video and photo... and also it
>  being fairly well integrated with digikam.  And also... with a simple
>  video editor being a big request on Ubuntu Brainstorms (is there some
>  sort of KDE brainstorms?)
>
>  http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/131/
>
>  ...I have to ask what's the current status of video support in
>  Digikam, and what are the future plans?

digiKam core do no have video codec and player, but delegate all to
KDE kpart video player. With KDE3, the best one is Kaffeine which use
Xine in background. With KDE4, we use now Phonon (Xine too)

So, all formats supported by Xine can be displayed in digiKam...

>  I tried googling on the topic and all I found was that there is basic
>  support for videos in digikam, but I couldn't even find the specs as
>  to what formats are supported, nor what playback engine it uses.
>
>  Is there any plan to extend the flickr support to include video yet...
>  or should I be inquiring on a different mailing list about that?

This is something to do for FlickrExport kipi-plugin maintener. Thi
sis not coded in digiKAm core. The interface between digiKam and this
plugin is already ready to handle video files. So only the plugin need
to be fixed to play with Flickr video management.

>  Finally, the really big question. Are there any plans for basic video
>  editing in Digikam?

No, and never. Use KDenLive which is a promise application.

>  I don't think video editing is essential, in fact digikam could just
>  launch annother video editing application to edit clips, but ideally
>  there would be some extremely simple implimentation within digikam.

No its'nt. I know very well the problem, i have played with KDenLive
team in the pass.

>  Most people wouldn't need a lot, most likely just the ability to cut
>  or splice clips, add subtitles/titling and music, and some sort of
>  export to some basic video formats.
>
>  Just curious.

Best

Gilles Caulier