[Digikam-users] Digikam won't display and jpegs

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sun Nov 25 20:20:30 GMT 2007

Hi Mark,

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Mark Doughty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed DigiKam today to manage my latest holiday snaps. I was
> impressed when I plugged in my camera and it was automatically detected
> and showed me the thumbnails that were on my camera. However once I
> download the images from the camera digikam refuses to display them.
> I've checked on the hard disk and all the jpg files are there in the
> right folder. I can even open them using other programs such as the gimp
> and showfoto.
>
> The 2 avi files which were on the camera show up fine in digikam but
> none of the jpgs. I checked in the mime types box and the extensions
> *.jpg and *.jpeg are there. I also tried importing other photos (taken
> with a different camera) Digikam won't show any in jpeg format but works
> fine if its a png or tiff.

Very weird.
Are there any error messages in the konsole?
(e.g. start digikam from a shell prompt to see them in that window).

> It looks like I've somehow managed to build digikam without jpeg support
> but I can't figure out what it is i've done wrong!

Not sure whether this would be possible (i.e. configure
should have complained ...)

> I'm using Gentoo and digikam version 0.91

That version is pretty old. Does this come with gentoo,
or did you download it separately?
I would recommend to use 0.9.2 final (or even better
0.9.3-beta3).

Best, Arnd