[Digikam-users] Fujifilm RAW format: Pallid coloursafter converting

Enrico enrico at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 12 00:23:19 GMT 2007

I asked the same, one week ago. I place here both the question and the
answer:

QUESTION

  Hallo Everybody!

  I'm a "digital photographer", and I would like to ask you a question, that
still haven't found answers after my researches. I'm not so expert, but
before asking to you, I checked on the documentation and in Internet, no
results.

  When I download raw (.CR2) photos from my digital SLR, I used to convert
them in this way:

  dcraw -T -w *.CR2

  ...and I got "standard" tiff pictures. Then, I installed Digikam, and I
got similar results using the raw batch converter, leaving the recommended
settings (use camera white balance, automatic color balance), only changing
the savefiles to TIFF.

  But what really shocks me is this: as soon as I download the CR2, Digikam
shows the thumbnail...and the thumbnail of CR2 has better colors than the
thumbnail of the converted TIFF!!!
  My question is: which parameters are used to generate the thumbnail from
the CR2? I suppose that dcraw is used.

ANSWER

The thumbnail are generated to extract the jpeg image embeded in RAW file.
(dcraw -e option)

RAW files are container : raw image data + reduced JPEG image + metadata.

The reduced JPEG image is used to render picture on TV screen very quickly.

Same behaviours when you display the Preview of RAW picture (F3 in Album
GUI). Of course it completly different when you edit image (F4 in Album
GUI). In this case the real RAW image data are used.

Gilles Caulier