[Digikam-users] auto download photos from camera? on ubuntu?

matt wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 05:42:52 GMT 2007

Hello All,

Does anyone know how to setup Digikam to automatically download photos when
a usb camera is plugged in?

Our camera is a Canon PowerShot S1. On Windows, all we have to do is connect
the camera and the photos are automatically downloaded using Canon's program
Camera Window and saved to year/month/day sub-directories of a configured
parent folder (e.g. home/Pictures) without any user intervention. The whole
setup is so simple and friction-free that anyone in family can do it.

I've read the FAQ "Using hotplugging with digiKam"
http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/36 which seems like it might be about
addressing auto picture download, but it is written for digikam of 3 years
ago (v0.7) and requires KDE as the active window manager. Is this the only
way?

We're running Ubuntu 7.04 amd64.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time,

-matt