[Digikam-users] Fwd: Sharing tags and rating between two machines

Duncan Hill digikam at nacnud.force9.co.uk
Sun May 21 08:14:09 BST 2006

sava wrote:
> OK, so nobody seems to have had a similar issue. I'll try to figure it out
> myself, but could anybody tell me where Digikam stores the rating and tags?

> Is there a way to import/preserve ratings and tags I created on the laptop
> during the transfer to my desktop Digikam?

The key problem with moving the data from sqlite to sqlite database is
that the unique IDs aren't going to match up properly, nor will the
paths (well, they might, but it's not a guarantee).

One of the BKO entries I raised (and has been mentioned on this list)
was to add a unique ID based on the checksum of the file, and use this
as the unique identifier throughout all of the tables.  With that in
place, it would be possible to generate a SQL dump from the laptop
(initially, it'd have to be by hand) and import it on the desktop.

I've looked at the code in an effort to find out how to add this ability
- changing the SQL tables is easy (and Gilles, if they're not
documented, I'll look at sending a patch to -devel, I work with SQL most
days), I'm just having trouble finding where the albums are read in to
get the files into the tables :)  Once I can find that, and I can find a
MD5/SHA1 algo (doesn't even have to be one of those, just something
unique), I can look at calculating checksums when a new file is found,
and track it in the tables.

I don't know if the devs would accept the SQL and checksum generation
patches for .9.0 - I probably wouldn't as a dev, simply because the
checksum generation is not a trivial task.  It needs to be done in a
lazy thread in the back of digikam, not up front when the program loads
(can you imagine the processing time for a few thousand photos?).