[Digikam-users] problems with ICC profiles

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri May 19 20:52:53 BST 2006

Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 19:41 schrieb Gerhard Kulzer:
> > I have put samples of this pictures here:
> >
> > 1) photo as the canon-program on Win98 made it without any corrections
> > (then saved as 16bit-TIFF and resized and saved as jpg with photoshop
> > 5.0): http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_09_canon.jpg
> >
> > 2) same picture in 0.9.0 svn with setting as shown by you (resized and
> > saved as jpg within digikam 0.9.0):
> > http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_009_editor.jpg
> >
> > 3) same, then with "automatic color correction" by digikam:
> > http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_009_automatic.jpg
> >
> > I think, the "canon" ist the most "vivid" one. What do you think?
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Well IMHO 3) is the best. Ts shows the most nuances/depths, look at the
> wrinkles in the sheets, its has the best 3D effect and clarity to me. I'm
> less certain about the hue, only the one who knows the source can judge..
>
> Gerhard

Yes, looking at the sheet, then 3) looks best. This is an optical effect due
to enhanced contrast and slightly darker. But the hue is too "greenish" and
details in the shadows (hair, bra, shoes) drop. So compared to the original
no. 1) comes closest.

I've played around with different combinations of the bibblelabs profiles and
I have the general impression that there's almost always too much green, but
I'll have to take more time for more serious testing. Soon.

At least now the basic problem is solved for me. Now it all depends on finding
(or making?) the right profiles.

Gilles:

when I play with color->color management and choose a "wrong" profile (like an
input device profile for working space) digikam crashes. Is this a bug, shall
I report it to the bugs list, or a problem of my install? The crash is
reproducable here.

have a nice evening, and again: thanks for the help!

Daniel

special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com