[Digikam-users] Dynax 5D data (was SVN compile [solved])

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Mon Jan 2 16:38:02 GMT 2006

Le Lundi 2 Janvier 2006 15:43, Thorsten Schnebeck a écrit :
> Am Montag 02 Januar 2006 15:02 schrieb Caulier Gilles:
> > >
> > > Well that would be Christmas and Easter at the same time :-))
> >
> > Well copy exif information to jpg/png/tiff isn't a problem with
> > Digikam::DImg API.
>
> Is this part of the API already code? How do you transfer tiff
> tags to exif tags and vice versa? libexiv2? AFAIK these tags are
> not binary compatible(?)

There is no rules actually to backport Exif to IPTC and vise versa. This code
must be done later...

> I'm really really curious about, how you going to solve the
> problem of raw metadata transfer with dimg. I mean, I believe in
> you that you find a native solution. But I also know what a hard
> task this is.

yes, this is an hard problem. I would to use dcraw::parse.c program
implementation do to that, if i can. Other way is to use Exiv2, but an new
interface must be done for that.

> > About PNG, the better way to save EXIF/IPTC metadata is to
> > create a new bytes array saved in like a PNG tag. I will
> > contact the PNG devel team to create new standard PNG tag
> > relevant.
> >
> > This is want mean (for me) that PNG is the better soltion to
> > backup JPEG/TIFF/RAW file without lost any metadata, like DNG
> > file format (Adobe copyrighted) done, without require any
> > additional library !!!
> >
> > What we want exactly :
> >
> > 1 / PNG support 16 bits/color/pixels. It's the perfect to
> > backup RAW file image data.
> > 2 / PNG support ICC color profile.
> > 3 / PNG can embeded metadata using tags.
> > 4 / PNG use a loss less compression algorithm without using any
> > pattents ! 5 / PNG is GPL.
> > 6 / PNG is a standard, DNG no.
> > 7 / No need to use a new library. libPNG is enough and is
> > present by default in all linux distro.
> >
> > My wiewpoint is that PNG is very adapted to save photograph and
> > is more simple to use than JPEG or TIFF. A beeter support of
> > PNG is my plan for the future...
>
> Hmm, I would like to agree and I already use 16-bit-png as my
> personal digital negative. But serious, DNG will be the future.
> Its open, specs are open and Adobe "forces" the Photoshop users
> to transfer RAW files into DNG when using their RAW importer.
> There are some digital backends for medium format that already
> save in DNG. Since 7.0 dcraw is redesigned for supporting DNG as
> reference for auto balance functions etc:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042701davecoffininterview.asp
> http://www.barry.pearson.name/articles/dng/products_y1.htm
> http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_spec.pdf
>
> But back to PNG. Software like imagemagick already use an enhenced
> tag definition, descibed here:
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/PNG.html
> (PNG TextualData Tag) These "Raw profile types" are not standard
> but very useful.

Yes, i know that. but like i say before, DNG isn't the ultimate solution. I
think that it's a proprietary solution provided for any comercial issue. This
is not the goal of opensource project.

Supporting DNG is not my vision... but if any contributors want implemented a
dedicaced  DImg::Loader for that, why not...