[Digikam-devel] new digikam-0.9.x release?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:09:21 BST 2008

2008/10/18 Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>

> > Right. Of course, current implementation for KDE3 from svn (next 0.9.5)
> fix
> > this problem already.
> >
> > But i'm shared between to continue to maintain KDE3 version and to work
> > only on KDE4... This require a lots of time.
> >
> > Make KDE3 version compilable with libkdcraw 0.1.6 is important. Perhaps
> > packagers can only apply your patch as well against 0.9.4, for the moment
> ?
> > Achim and other, please let's me hear...
> >
> > >From developpers point, of course there are a lots of new stuff
> > > implemented
> >
> > in 0.9.3, backported from KDE4. So the question is 0.9.5 or not ? Andi,
> > Marcel ?
>
> For many months I have been working almost exclusively on the KDE4 version,
> but you have invested a lot of work to add new features to 0.9.4 as well,
> so
> you will want this work to pay off as well. My question is how much work is
> required for a next 0.9.5 version, or, said more directly, what open ends
> would keep you from releasing 0.9.5 tomorrow (in theory, I mean).

0.9.5 cannot be released as well. a new beta cycle need to be done. This can
be a reduced cycle compared to 0.9.4 for ex.

The advantage to do it is to have a report from KDE3 users about common
features implemented in KDE4 (RAWImport and Editor Tools).

users will be more able to play with KDE3 than KDE4. Why ? because KDE4
still unsuitable from ends users. By ex. i have installed some fresh
Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE4 desktop in my office. all have toggle to KDE3
desktop : more stable, more powerfull, no regression. KDE 4.2 will be
certainly ready for production (i hope). this is not yet the case.

This is why i think that to maintain KDE3 is important.

I would to hear more viewpoint here. Achim, Gerhard, etc... ?