[Digikam-devel] quick search?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Mar 10 19:59:56 GMT 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:

[...]

> I would vote for some more GUI in the search sidebar anyway:

Yes, that sounds like a good plan!
One of digikam's strength is the possibility for
really fast searches. However, to me it seems that not all
possibilities are exploited yet ... ;-)

> Currently, it is empty. You have to use the menu to create a new search.
> >From my point of view, there should be a textedit to create simple searches,
> and an "advanced" button which may popup a dialog, even better, no dialog.

I am not sure how one would fit the present dialogue
for creating an advanced search somewhere else
(Independent of this, there are also various issues
with dialogue that I think, see below).

> Either search may or may not "live" to the main view, i.e., any change
> immediately changes the content of the main view.

Yes, that would be good.

> The latest search is automatically stored, and a button allows to save
> as a search album as it is now.

Ok, so could this correspond to something like:

  My Searches
  Search: _____________________
  [Save Search][Advanced Search]
  ==============================
  - Saved Search1
  - Saved Search2
  - Saved Search3

Actually, it would be nice to be able to mark two (or)
saved searches and get their AND (or OR) as output.

BTW, after a while I have quite a few searches defined, actually
so many, that it starts to get difficult to keep track of them.
Presently, there is no way of re-ordering or sub-grouping
(another tree????) of searches.

Best, Arnd

P.S.: Concerning the creation of advanced searches:
It would be nice to have the possibility to combine two
(or more) advanced searches into a new one (via AND or OR).
Also, it is presently impossible (as far as I know) to easily
change the conditions between
the parts of a search (i.e., change an "as well as" to an "or")
after they were defined. Therefore, one has to delete
the parts of the search step by step until the corresponding
place, and rebuild the conditions.

P.P.S.: Gilles, don't worry, I will try to find the B.K.O entry
and add a summary of this discussion there ;-).