[Digikam-devel] Future plans : 0.9.2-final and KDE4 port...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 08:07:36 BST 2007

2007/6/13, Vardhman Jain <vardhman at gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone,
>       Just when I was thinking of starting a new thread in respect to
> Kipi-plugin under developement by me, I came to see this post. I think its
> relevant to ask my question in this thread.
>
> This in regards to QT 3.3's limitation of not allowing HTTPS post needed
> for a new. QT 4.3 has support for HTTPS connection and so HTTPS post. My
> plugin is nearly done but I would like to use HTTPS connection for
> authentication purposes instead of HTTP post (both are allowed by the
> website, the post URL being an HTTPS one)
>
> I see that kipi-plugins have started porting to KDE 4. Though none of the
> host application have done such a port.

Gwenview is partially ported in KDE4:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegraphics/gwenview/

But it do not include the libkipi interface port...

Doesn't this make the current development build of kipi unusable with host
> apps ?

I have been stricktly using QT 3.3 for this fear. Should I just go ahead and
> start using QT 4, libraries and APIs ? [Is it okay to have a different QT
> library used for building libkipi, kipiplugins and another for Digikam ?]

Mixing Qt3/Qt4 between kipi hosts and libkipi/kipi-plugins will never
work...

Like libkipi and some plugins are already ported, i recommend to start KDE4
port in trunk as well and let KDE3. I have not yet tested the plugins ported
: all compile fine only. To port code can take a while especially about to
learn new API from QT4 and KDE4. Marcel and me we will trying to provide a
first KDE4 port of digiKam during this summer... I recommend you to port
your plugin as weel and wait than a host will be ported to KDE4 to start
test and add new features...

Another question: Is there any other way, I can use QT 3.3 and get the https
> post functionality i.e by using another C++/C library just for HTTPS
> connection ? Does KDE have any extra support for https post (I have been
> using transferJob with http_post for http post and couldn't find any
> https_post method.)

I don't know. Why not to take a look in kflickr with use Qt3 ?

http://kflickr.sourceforge.net/wikka.php?wakka=Kflickr

Perhaps you can find a solution in implementation...