[Digikam-devel] How to support the digikam team?

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Mon Jan 23 10:02:03 GMT 2006

Le Lundi 23 Janvier 2006 00:43, Sebastian Röder a écrit :
> One minute ago I read from Tom Albers that Renchi is not in the team
> anymore and indead I could read it on the digikam HP, too.
>
> I was quite surprised cause I never found any info about that on the ML and
> want to thank Renchi for all the work he put into digikam. Maybe somebody
> could give a short info for which reason he left the team - as long as this
> is not a too personal question of cause.

He working at PalmOs now... I have no new from him since August 2005.

> Now I think about how I can help the team a little, cause there is not so
> much man power. I am just starting to learn C++ (later QT / Kdevelop to
> come) so on the coding front I might not be of any help atm.

ok. I will trying to update digikam TODO list and put an indicator of
complexity for each. I can help you to start in any way if you want, but take
a care that my time ins't unlimited. I'm trying to coordonate others digiKam
developpers/contributors. It's not a simple task for me...

Perhaps you can trying to start/update an existing kipi plugin for example.
You just to learn only kipi interface and Qt/KDE rules. Since Renchi is out
of team, i concentrate my development  to digikam core (especially RAW files
support, 16 bits image supports in image manipulation algorithms, removed
imlib2 depency and developping new image framework name DImg with support
better metadata, etc.). I can't maintain kipi plugins anymore in this case.
We need new/fresh developpers in this way (:=)))

If you know image data manipulation, you can trying to start a new image
editor plugin, or add new features, like Free Rotation guide improvements for
example. There are any entries in B.K.O.

Anothers way is to polish English words in all GUI/DOC strings...

In all case, I can guide you. I recommend you to take a look in this book
before to start coding :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Books/C++programingwithQT3.pdf

> My knowledge in web administration is very limited, too but in case the HP
> needs some support we could discuss whether I am of any help.
>
> What comes into my mind is managing bugs at bko, exspecialy finding dups
> and such. This might be a good start to help you out and if you want we can
> talk about it so I might help with coordination tasks.

Sure. B.K.O management is important.

> Last point is translation into German but I know this is allready done
> quite well.
>
> If anything of the above is of any help for you feel free to drop me a
> line. And yes, I have to start using IRC - will deal with that soon I
> promise.

Any days, after working, i can use IRC at home. I will certainly see you on
(:=))). i can't use IRC at work for any security restrictions (FW)

> good night from germany,

Good day from France