[Digikam-devel] JPEG lossless crop

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jan 3 17:56:05 GMT 2006

First a happy new year to the digikam team - may it not be totaly overworked
in 2006 by the ambitious digikam project.

During christmas holidays I prepared some digikam photos for print. That means
I used the crop w/ ascect ratio to transform them from 4:3 to 3:2 ascpect
ratio. Sadly this transformation is not lossless in digikam. That's bad cause
the photo quality is important in this case (print) and no other effects were
used. So if one could do the crop lossless  the image quality would not
descrease.

Using another file format is not an option here cause the print houses expect
jpeg and I don't want it to be to complicated (have to explain it to my
parents who are not that familar with computers).

I googled a bit and found out that a lossless crop function was implemented in
jpegtran (on Gentoo part of the "jpeg" package). Now my question is whether
there is a chance to implement this in digikam/image plugins/kipi-plugins
whatever (sorry but I do not have an overview about the digikam packages
anymore).

This is just an idea for discussion and in no way a "I want this and I want it
now" request. I know that you all have a lot of work with the 0.9.x digikam.
If the discussion shows positive feedback I will add a feature request.

In the meantime it would be nice if somebody could tell me an alternative GUI
for Linux that uses the lossless crop function from jgegtran.

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian