[Digikam-devel] 0.9 release tarball ready

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 11:55:22 GMT 2006

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> On Monday 18 December 2006 12:14, Fabien wrote:
>
>>Gilles Caulier wrote:

>>>Fabien, have you planed to do the announce on dot.kde.org (following the
>>>2 mails than i send you during previous week) ?
>>
>>Well, this is what Danny Allen wants :
>>
>><<
>>* A general introduction to the application, its history, functionality,
>>etc
>

> Well, it's already on the web project page. no ?

Yes, but not the history.

Here's a proposed intro/funct using informations available on the website :

<<
DigiKam is an advanced digital photo management application for linux,
which makes importing and organizing digital photos a "snap".
The photos can be organized in albums which can be sorted
digiKam provides tagging functionality. You tag your images which can be
spread out across multiple folders and digiKam provides fast and
intuitive ways to browse these tagged images. You can also add comments
and rating to your images.
DigiKam makes use of a fast and robust database (sqlite3) to store these
meta-information which makes adding and editing of comments and tags
very reliable. All these metadatas can also be stored directly inside
the picture using EXIF and IPTC.
An easy-to-use interface is provided that enables you to connect to your
camera and preview, download and/or delete your images. Basic
auto-transformations can be deployed on the fly during pictures downloading.
DigiKam makes use of KIPI plugins for lots of added functionality
(IPTC/EXIF edition, geo-localization, CD/DVD archives, exports to html
or remote galleries and a lot more).

And that's not all : digiKam has an embedded image editor plus a
standalone application named showfoto which has powerful but simple
features to edit your pictures with a lot of filters and correction tools.

>>* A short part on how you compare to other applications like
>>KPhotoAlbum (used to be KimDaBa).

I'll check that later.

--
Fabien