[Digikam-devel] Database corruption?

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 26 01:23:57 BST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> No, it is not bug report :)
>
> I am curious how probably is database corruption and how well
> digiKam/libsqlite can cope with mangled .db files .
>
> Maybe it would be good thing to make security copy of db with start
> of digiKam and overwrite with each next start.

sqlite(1/3) seems to be fairly robust and neither i, nor of the other
developers, have had a single db corruption instance during the process of
development where we face frequent crashes and other unmentionable things
which we do to the db. sqlite generates a journal file when its modifying
a db file and uses it do recovery in case of incorrect closure. and no
user db corruption reports also... yet.

otoh, i can't make an assertive statement that db will never corrupt. i
will leave it up the user to do periodic backups of your photo library
path, as you would do for any other file.

renchi