[Digikam-devel] First proposal for IPTC interface

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net
Sun Jul 24 13:27:12 BST 2005

Hi everybody,

as already mentioned, I'm working on an integration of the IPTC
datafields in digikam.

You can find two screenshots proposing a new "Image Comments/Tags"
dialog displaying both the tags and the IPTC fields:

http://www.heiner-lamprecht.net/digikam_new_01.png
http://www.heiner-lamprecht.net/digikam_new_02.png

I would like to get your feedback and discuss some more question on
the integration.  So far, I only used a few fields defined in the
IPTC standard.  For a complete list of tags supported by exiv2, see
http://home.arcor.de/ahuggel/exiv2/iptc.html

Some of the fields, like e.g. the country code (and as a result the
country name), normally have predefined contents.  Shall we
therefore offer a readonly list to select instead of allowing free
text?

When using IPTC, IMHO all metadata on the images shall be stored in
the image file itself, meaning that the db-file we use now will
only act as an index but not the primary source of information.  In
that case we need to find a way to handle hierarchical tags as IPTC
doesn't support the directly.

In the current version, one can enter a comment, which is for me
more or less the same as the IPTC "summary".  But nevertheless, it
is a different datafield, because it is stored as the EXIF-comment,
which is also supported by several other applications.  Shall we
merge them automatically or shall the user be able to add them
differently?

Regards,

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373