Calligra sprint in Randa?

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Mon May 21 08:49:22 BST 2012

On Monday 21 May 2012 09:24:22 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2012 May, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > I have been asked by Mario Fux (unormal) about whether the Calligra
> > community is interested in participating in a big sprint in september.
> > You can see the relevant doodle here:
> > http://www.doodle.com/svghf38ibdg6k9dv .
> >
> > This will be held in Randa, Switzerland in a brobdingnagian[1] house
> > which allows several KDE groups to have their own sprints simultaneously
> > while at the same time allow for shared discussions. I hear it's really
> > useful.
> >
> > If we accept the offer and let Mario arrange a nice sprint, we will have
> > good food, good surroundings and good rooms. Did I mention sponsorship
> > from the e.V and some local sponsors is already secured?
> >
> > I think the timing is not bad. We have just gone a full spring without a
> > Calligra sprint and we also have shortened our release cycle to 4 months.
> > Given the schedule for Calligra 2.5[2] this date should be around the
> > middle of the development cycle for 2.6 (or 3.0). We probably need a
> > sprint soon and this is as good time as any.
> >
> > On the other hand, a full week is really long.  Perhaps we can have a
> > dedicated Calligra sprint over the weekend. The Randa sprint itself will
> > be friday to thursday) so we could maybe have friday - monday or so and
> > then people who want to discuss or hack on something particularly
> > complex could stay a few more days.
>
> It would certainly be interesting to share a sprint with other KDE
> projects. On the other hand, Randa is difficult and expensive to reach...
> Personally I would prefer to have an easier to reach location (like
> Berlin), but I guess we'll be able to manage.
>
> But the travel costs are going to be huge!
Not to speak of the fact that we would probably loose ~3 hours at each end of
the sprint in Randa due to longer commuting times, being so far away from a
big airport.

I'm not against going to Randa, but we need people to quickly examine their
individual pros and cons.

We should however consider that we would have to organize the sprint ourselves
if not going to Randa.

Boemann