results from

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Nov 21 08:11:06 GMT 2011

On 21 November 2011 08:27, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 04:36 AM, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
>>
>>> It also reveals the names (for those that weren't at the sprint). And yes
>>> some were made as a joke, but in all fairness all proposed names were
>>> brought to the vote.
>>>

>>> 1. Abacus  (Condorcet winner: wins contests with all other choices)
>>
>> Even if it won the competition it is a bad choice as there is already a
>> spreadsheet application out there with this name. See
>> http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/deskutils/abacus.html
>
> I agree. The sucks. Also the list of names is so bad that I don't wonder it
> wins. Even more worse now we destroyed the nice idea the brand and the app
> names had :-(

Sorry guys, that was discussed already (before Calligra became
Calligra), but I will repeat this for Marijn:
The "conflict" is with an xabacus game and with an app unmaintained
for years (only package in the linked BSD was maintained for unknown
reason). See the case in Debian:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2001/03/msg00080.html abacus
spreadsheet program as a research project has been abandoned in 1998.
Nearly at the same time when KSpread was born.

For us no doubt 'Tables' was more ugly conflict with many apps - this
is the very central reason for rename. And what, we've voted on
Calligra Abacus, not Abacus. Sound nicely. The same reasoning was used
for Tabes and there were no many complaints (well at least I
complained).
Ubuntu has game not a spreadsheet - it is xabacus not abacus.

I think it's not fair to bikeshed now when we had opportunity to do so
before voting (it was announced after the sprint).
So any use of the name is not in conflict with our specific use. There
are two _active_ Unity projects if someone cares.
And as for Thorsten's suggestion on open source apps: restricting
usage of (common!) name is against the Open Source Definition.

And the very last, there's not going to be even package naming
conflict (as there was no conflict in Tables) since the package name
would be calligra-abacus.

To have some real measure, I would look at the real usage of the name
_since_ this was the reason for taking our energy into rename. E.g.
"Export to Abacus" command sounds so much more informative than
anything we had.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek