Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Nov 16 10:23:21 GMT 2011

On 16 November 2011 10:51, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Personnaly I agree with the graphical aspect of the logo (ie make sure the
> logo stands), one slight comment, you define a minimum size in centimeters, but
> that we might need a size definition for use on a screen (ie website).

Yes, this needs to be addressed.

> However, I am very skeptical about the where to use it part.
>
> Looking at the legal use for KDE logo:
>
> Copying of the KDE Logo is subject to the LGPL copyright license. Trading and
> branding with the KDE Logo is subject to our trademark licence:
> * The KDE logo can be used freely as long as it is not used to refer to
> products other than KDE itself. There is no formal procedure to use it.
> * Whilst not required you should acknowledge the KDE e.V.s rights by
> mentioning "KDE, K Desktop Environment and the KDE Logo are trademarks of KDE
> e.V."
>
> And for debian:
>
> The logo with “Debian” is released under the following license, due to ongoing
> concerns about trademarks.
>
> Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest
> This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the Debian
> project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
>
> Note: we would appreciate that you make the image a link to
> http://www.debian.org/ if you use it on a web page.
>

> Personnally I would simply copy the one from Debian, it is simple and covers
> everything (as the one from KDE trigger a parser error in my mind between the
> LGPL license and the you can only use it to refer to KDE...).

I understand the desire for simplicity. But there is difference
between KDE/Calligra and Debian in where the projects sit in the 'food
chain'. Debian covers distribution, we're covering production.

There's no parse error (maybe just warning) if we note that there is
trademark vs artwork
copyright distinction. LGPL or CC is for the artwork, trademark is for
making a bit more sure
that the logo is used for visual identity/branding. In this form,
enforcing trademark rights can limit applicability of LGPL or CC. The
freedom introduced by artwork licensing seems to be weaker than
trademark protection in many
jurisdictions. That is why I proposed to have realistic licensing for
the artwork so 3rd-parties won't be that surprised in the future that
they cannot give KDE or Calligra name and logo for their products like
washing powder. [1]

[1] Linux name made very popular at home:
http://www.roeschswiss.com/px_custom/product_img/img_33.gif

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek