Fwd: New helper program proposal: calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Feb 4 20:17:01 GMT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Faure <faure at kde.org>
Date: 4 February 2011 20:48
Subject: Re: New helper program proposal: calligra
To: Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>

On Tuesday 28 December 2010
Argh, time flies....

> Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Thanks for the hints, David, I have added Calligra/Application
> servicetype and now the logic works as expected.
>
> I have one issue though: having KDEDIRS set for my local KDE4
> development prefix, I am using  KRun::run(service) to execute the
> selected app. e.g. I am getting this for krita:
>
> "KDEInit could not launch 'krita'.:
> Could not find 'krita' executable."
>
> And when I execute: kde-open foo.kra, so I guess it's a configuration
> problem.

Yes that's when the DBUS servicename in krita.desktop doesn't match the name
with which krita actually registers.

X-DBUS-StartupType=Multi
X-DBUS-ServiceName=org.krita.krita

This was fixed in r1198810 for bug 233871.

> Is it better to use KToolInvocation::startServiceByDesktopPath()
> instead of KRun::run() for my task?
> One thing in favour of KToolInvocation is that I get non-gui error
> messages so I can consume them in my way in the calligra app.

But only KRun takes care of startup-notification, it seems.

Other than that it doesn't matter, indeed, you can use ktoolinvocation to
avoid the messagebox.

regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)