Selling Krita through Apple AppStore

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Sat Dec 10 11:01:12 GMT 2011

On 12/09/2011 10:55 PM, Alex Sarmiento wrote:
>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cyberduck/id409222199?mt=12&ls=1
>> http://cyberduck.ch/
>>
>> Source:
>>
>> Source code is available licenced unter the  GNU General Public Licence.
>>
>> svn co http://svn.cyberduck.ch/trunk cyberduck
> I don't see any reason on why not selling Krita, you can always sell an open source project, there's no any closure in these licenses that forbids you selling these apps. We are not talking about shareware/freeware/spamware here.

Yes. It even makes sense in some cases from a FLOSS-viewpoint. By taking
money for FLOSS applications for closed platforms while providing the
same for free for open/libre platforms you 1) still make users aware of
your application and maybe even of the FLOSS-concept and 2) you let them
pay (and co-finance FLOSS indirect) for choosing a closed platform.

>> I don't think we're discussion about a mere detail: let's promote
>> walled gardens as distribution methods for our software and one day,
>> new generation of non-Linux/xBSD users, treating PCs like TV sets or
>> STBoxes, would understand no other source of distribution, and accept
>> closed ecosystem without any reflection. On PCs and consoles this
>> already started at full speed with some games.
> We are not talking about promoting to the people  the  Apple's AppStore  model business , we are talking about using the   AppStore Model business  as a distribution , promotion and founding  channel for a open source project like Krita. That's it, nothing less, nothing more.  Keep it simple.  The Ultimate goal of Krita is to let users to create art, and they'll find that *GPL open source software is great too. Some users would want to enhance the software and will download the source code to their macs, and submit their changes to the repo that at the same time will made it to the bundle in the AppStore, so everybody will enjoy the new Krita.

+1

In any case: Thank you for your work!