Branding Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Apr 21 13:21:25 BST 2011

On Thursday, April 21, 2011 09:35:37 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2011, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > Right now my code is not that modular, and I plan to do that once I
> > understand how to properly use Calligra libs.
> > Once that is done, we can have different UIs for different form factors.
> > But anyway, even if we have a mobile version for now,
> > for Active, its better than nothing.
>
> Not being strictly modular now is fine :) Especially since your project is
> exploratory, and after all, the "calligra/active/lib" can start by being
> empty (or contains only koabstraction library), and then when there is
> more common code it get moves from the mobile subdirectory to the relevant
> library.

I agree with Cyrille, and think that his suggestions a few mails back in the
thread make a lot of sense.  Especially this:

calligra/active/lib
calligra/active/mobile   (or perhaps handset since tablets are also mobile)
calligra/active/tablet
calligra/active/...

I also talked a lot with Aaron, and the 'Active' brand is not tied to plasma.
It's supposed to be a whole new infrastructure complete with a HIG and Qt
Quick components for creating applications and also a set of base applications
(among them Calligra, hopefully).  So I think that Calligra Active will share
a lot of code with the other Ui's like for Android, but it would *not* be the
same since there are different look&feels between the Active HIG and the
Android HIG. Active is also going to be initially a new UX on top of MeeGo,
since MeeGo allows that, so it's going to be on the same level as, say, the
MeeGo tablet UX rather than MeeGo itself.

Regarding koabstraction, I talked a bit with Jaroslaw at the sprint and I
think that I finally understand what koabstraction is about: It's a facade (รก
la the Facade Design Pattern) in front of the applications to let somebody
manipulate documents without knowing the underlying implementation.  And as
Jaroslaw mentions, it may also have other uses, like bridging between apps
even if that is not there yet (or is it?).

Thus, I think it should definitely not be in active/lib.  Rather under
interfaces/ and perhaps with another name.  Koabstraction is a bit too general
as a name and doesn't really tell anything.  Hence my and other people's
confusion on what it really is. I can't really come up with a good name right
now, but I think we should.