Naming of the 5 office apps

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Nov 26 06:43:22 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 November 2010 22:47:44 Inge Wallin wrote:
>> Now, regarding the names that Casper suggested, I'm afraid that I also
>> don't feel they are the best we can come up with -- perhaps with the
>> exception of Compute. I'm not really good at this myself, but here are
>> some suggestions to spark the imagination:
>>
>> KWord - Column, Compose, Essay, Script, Journal, Prose, Type
>> KSpread - Count, Figures (too close to Numbers?), Tally, Prime, Optimus
>> KPresenter - Convince, Convey, Assert, Spotlight (my favourite of these),
>> Underscore, Enlight
>> KPlato - Concoct :-), Procedure, Plan, Scheme (perhaps not :-) ), Agenda,
>> Roadmap
>> Kexi - Data, Entry,  Facts, Digest -- or just keep Kexi; it's unique
>> enough.
>>
> Then how about:

> Phrase - word processor

Negative connotation:

* Synonyms:
byword, catchphrase, catchword, diction, expression, idiom, locution,
maxim, motto, parlance, phraseology, phrasing, remark, saying,
shibboleth, slogan, styling, tag, terminology, utterance, verbalism,
   verbiage, watchword, wordage, wording

Sounds like "making up some phrases".

> Tally - spreadsheet

Just doesn't sound nice, IMHO.

> Convince - presentation

Who do you want to convince?

> Steer - project planning

Negative connotation:

* Idiom:
"steer clear"
To stay away from; avoid.

Also too close to "stare", acoustically.

> Graph - graph visualization

This one is really good.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH