[Bugsquad] Mailinglist and website

A. L. Spehr zahl+kde at transbay.net
Wed Aug 20 12:45:18 CEST 2008

> I just requested that our mailinglist should be put up on
> www.kde.org/mailinglists.

And we should keep bugging them until they put us there...
Because we tried this before. ;)

> Apart from that I don't know if George told you about our plans for a bugsquad
> website yet but that's something we talked about at akademy. I just asked the
> sysadmins to create bugsquad.kde.org.

Yay! We certainly need it. I think it would help formalize our
existance and all.

> What should it be used for?
> - some exposure
> - establish an "identity" within the KDE community
> - managing bugsquad (eg. schedule)

Ha, we can put up polls for people to pick a BugDay they'd be interested in.

> - a home for some basic explanations what bugsquad is and what we do, maybe
> also a home for "permanent" documentation and certainly a page linking to all
> the stuff on techbase.
>
> One thing I'm not quite sure about is making a list of people in bugsquad.
> First of all making such a list would make it seem harder to get into bugsquad
> (whereas we surely appreciate everyone joining IRC and helping a little).
> Second there are certainly some "core" members who're staying around quite
> some time but there's also quite some fluctuation and I would neither want to
> publish just the core members nor change the site frequently.

To what, remove people? That would be a little silly, I'd think.
I don't know. Who is "officially" in bugsquad and how do you join? Do we have
to formalize it at some point? Probably. But then we'd better get a secret
handshake and a bizarre logo with arcane symbolic things hidden in it.
(Actually, are we supposed to have a logo?)

I sort of have a list I was using to track whose name was in the stats (ie
triager or dev, since irc nick != email != IRL name ). Which is one use of
a list.

Probably the main reason for a list would be for motivational purposes, and to
thank past triagers. Recognition is nice.

And I do think thanking triagers from pre-bugsquad/early days is important. A
lot of them have given me useful advice, and I think they're all kind of
inspirational. But we like the we like the people around now too. ;)

Some method of charting and publicizing our growth might be useful. We've
added a lot of people --- I think 2-4 perms-given per bugday (does that put you
on bugsquad?). That would further show developers that we exist and all. Just
in case they somehow missed Lubos' blue hair.

> If you have any ideas or want to help with writing text for the site, feel
> free to do so. For a start I requested George, Alex and me to be the
> webmasters (Alex will have to get an svn account before though :)).

Oh no! Then I'll be obligated to make commits... Scary.  *hides*
But yeah, I probably can't avoid it too much longer. ;)

Alex
A. L. Spehr
(blauzahl)