[Appeal] Translucency: Second try

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Fri Apr 22 10:01:56 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 21:42, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> i don't want any of this in the GUI yet as i'm pondering ways of reworking
> the taskbar config at the moment, but the kcfg entry looks fine.
ok, removed that

> we probably should use QApplication::flushX() and QApplication::syncX()
> instead .. yes, they do the same thing, but at least its portable ... in
> fact, i wonder if QApplication::flush() wouldn't be even better? dunno..
> and all of the XWindow specific code needs to be wrapped in #ifdef Q_WS_X11
ok, did that , too

> findWmFrame ... is that trying to look for the "main" window for the window
> in question? if so, does KWin::findTransientFor(int wID) do the same thing
> for you?
No, it searches the frame WId for the window WId. That's needed for the
setOpacity function to work.

> it doesn't work with Xinerama. the windows move over onto the second
> screen, and if the target window is on screen 2 it gets cover up. heh.
> you'll need to make it Xinerama aware.
I have some problems here, maybe you could give me some advice:
I tested it with ati's xinerama-like big desktop, but apparently that isn't
the same as Xinerama, will try to configure my X with xinerama now.

From what I know there are many different "multiple desktop" solutions
provided by the gfx drivers themselves.
Do I have to test it for nvidia's TwinView, too or can I assume that it works
once it works in Xinerama?

I thought KGlobalSettings::splashScreenDesktopGeometry() gives me the width of
all screens summed up. Is this not the case with Xinerama?
How is geometry handled there?. Any KDELibs API that can help me find the
right screens and geometry apart from QDesktopWidget (which already gave me
nightmares in Komposé).

> also, if the task in question is not on the current desktop, does the
> effect make sense? hm.
Yeah, not really.

I also implemented it now through QTimers as you suggested. Works quite well
now but I'm sure it will cause me some more headaches ;).

Still not solved is also taskbar grouping... but I don't see that as very
urgent and would check it in without that.
I'll post another patch here soon. Thanks for your reviewing, it's really
helpful.

Greets, Hans