[Appeal] Translucency effect

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 21:33:08 CEST 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 05:48, Hans Oischinger wrote:
> My straightforward approach would be not to introduce another configure
> option and just use the kompmgr settings.

agreed.

> > anyways, the draft shows the basic concept.. it just needs to be cleaned
> > up and finished a bit; i think it's a pretty cool feature and a good use
> > of opacity!  =)
>
> Great. I'll provide a proper patch, soon.

i also want to start a web page showing the Cool Stuff(tm) we're doing here.
the wobbly windows things, as odd and non-useful to anyone as it is (which
production product will it be shipping with in the next 6 months? =), has
gotten a lot of attention. i think we're doing more interesting things, to be
honest, and just need to communicate that.

Appeal: Real Improvements

> > btw, i'd also love to get the pager to using COMPOSITE to show true
> > previews as well.. but that's another thing....
>
> That would be really cool but will pose a problem imo as COMPOSITE only
> works for windows that are "onscreen". Means: windows that are on the
> current desktop and not minimized. Other windows are not drawn into
> backbuffers. that also counts for other desktops.
> That is mostly for memory reasons.

yeah, it's just one more challenge to overcome =)

> There may be other ways to do this that I'm not aware of. Maybe Thomas
> Luebking or Zack can bring some expertise here.

yeah, zack and i chatted briefly about "one huge desktop" vs "distinct
desktops" the other day. i think he'd be the person to bounce these ideas
around with.

--
Aaron J. Seigo