[Appeal] Translucency effect

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Wed Apr 13 17:32:31 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 17:15, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 15:06, Hans Oischinger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 April 2005 14:06, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > Against which version is this patch?
> >
> > It's against the current kdebase cvs.
>
> Ok, it now compiles for me. I had to add the config option to taskbar.kcfg.
> That doesn't seem to be in your patch.
oh. sorry about that... the config option doesn't work anyway right now. it's
always enabled :)

> What do I have to change in my X server config to actually enable the
> effect?
Add the following section to your xorg.conf (you need xorg for composite):
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Transparency
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

and if you have a nvidia card add the folowing line to your Device Section
Option      "RenderAccel" "true"

There's also a howto at http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Transparency

You can configure the behaviour of the effect in the kde control center under
Desktop->Window Behaviour->Translucency.
There, enable Use translucency/shadows and enable Effects-> Fade between
opacity changes for the animations.
There is also a problem with translucent windows ( my effect always resets
their opacity value to 100 instead of the original value), so it would be
best to switch off transparency for inactive or active windows.

I know: lots of problems but it's only meant to be a simple hack in order to
show the functionality.

Hans