[Appeal] Appeal icon theme

David Vignoni david.vignoni at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:03:43 CEST 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 3:23 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> seriously though, the name has some very nice connotations: airy, required for
> life, freshness, vitality... yeah... is there any reason not to just call it
> Oxygen, besides the fact that "oxygen" has no 'k's in it? ;);)

I thinked to an alternative because Oxygen is a very common name for
many kind of different products...

> > Here there is a preview, it's looking good in konqui, but I suggest to
> > go with 64x64 icons as default.
>
> yes, 64px at a minimum. in the content browser, i'm going to push for 128px
> icons for a few reasons:
>
>         informaton density is lower
>         it allows us to overlay a simple interface on the icon on mouse over

I also would like to have bigger icons, but maybe 128 is too big for
many people.

> > I'll soon send an application icon and actions cuz I want to follow
> > the Aaron suggestion to have icons that you can anderstand immediatly
> > if it is filemanager-icon, application-icon, toolbar-icon or an
> > Action.
>
> files, applications, actions .. are there any other important divisions to be
> made? the current icon themes have the following groupings (going from the
> "Select Icon" dialog) and how they map to the three categories David
> mentioned:
>
>         Actions (Actions)
>         Applications (Applications)
>         Devices (Filemanager)
>         Filesystem (Filemanager)
>         Mimetypes (Filemanager)
>
> perhaps we should look at a distinction for "icons representing things in the
> real world". this would be disks, printers, etc... in other words, all the
> things currently in the Devices icon category. which would bring the
> distinctions to being:
>
>         Actions (menus, toolbars)
>         Applications
>         Physical Items (devices)
>         Files, Documents and Information (folders, mimetypes, bookmarks..)
>
> the "rules" are what would remain to be defined. for physical items, i'd
> recommend "photorealistic" icons. many of our current Device icons already
> get close, such as the hdd_* and usbpen* icons. the rational is that this
> gives an immediate cue to the user that these are "real" things (versus the
> abstractions/metaphores the rest of the icons represent) and creates an easy
> to make distinction artistically between these and the other icons.

A sort of rule is needed, I'll try to came up with something next days.
For now I was thinking to basic shapes for navigational purposes,
22x22 and 32x32 (and maybe 48x48) for toolbars actions.

I also would like to see less icons on menus.