[Appeal] Re: [Appeal-pr] APPEAL Branding

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Tue Apr 5 14:39:48 CEST 2005

> Well, it also looks more arrogant and more stupid.

I disagree (or do you really think that e.g. "HARIBO" looks arrogant?).
And if you look around you'll see that brands
(Especially rather short ones) are very often written upper case
for the reasons I outlined.

> The result of SUSE changing
> its name from "SuSE" to "SUSE" is that many people write the name as "Suse"
> now, even if they learned the strange spelling before. I doubt that this is a
> successfull strategy.

No. SUSE is a different case. They started with some quite weird
capitalization (which already added to a weird name). A huge percentage was
not able to get the capitalization correct before the name/capitalization
change.
Changing capitalization after quite some time will weaken the brand. That's
why we
still experience quite some wrong captitalization with regard to SUSE. This
situation will improve within the next months and will lead to less confusion
and a stronger brand in the end.

Another reason why there will always be other versions, like Suse, kde, Gnome,
etc. instead of the Official ones like SUSE, KDE and GNOME is sloppyness.

Torsten