[Appeal] new member

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Fri Apr 1 21:20:14 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 1. April 2005 20:45 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 01 April 2005 11:26, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > this afternoon I had a long phone call with Matthias Ettrich about Appeal
> > and a lot of related things we discussed in Berlin. He's very interested
> > and he accepted my invitation to join this list and also the next appeal
> > meeting. Maybe someone can subscribe him?
>
> having Ettrich aboard could be cool. what would he be looking to bring to
> the table to help move the Appeal project forward?

He can help creating a vision and moving it forward. And he can also help with
the organisatorial issues KDE has. To me his input is very important.

> to be honest, i'd sooner see Zack as a TT employee in Appeal  (meaning TT
> gives their OK for him to work with Appeal as part of his day work) because
> at least i know exactly what sort of progress i'd see from Zack.

Well, Matthias and I agreed that Zack is an important member - and I guess all
the others agree. If TT supports his work within Appeal - even better.

> and this brings up the interesting an unanswered question:
>
> 	what sort of people do we want/need in this group?
>
> certainly more developers. especially ones that can create, follow, express
> and help realize a vision. Scott and i came up with a few names of such
> people currently involved in the KDE project, and i'm sure Cornelius,
> Daniel and Stephan B. could do the same.

Well, I see a focus on developers in this paragraph, is that intended? Do you
think a vision can only be created by developers? (this is intended to be
provocative)

And to be honest - in Berlin I didn't really see a vision. We discussed a lot
of steps - important steps. But where is the vision? The overall picture?
Don't we have the right people or do we need to work harder?

Some parts are clear (as the Kontext search engine), but others don't even
have a direction.

Like:
- does a new type of desktop interface need new widgets, how much animation do
we need?
- how can we break up or I-can-do-everything-applications into something that
is useful (the more I think about konqueror, the more I can see how lost
beginners are, even I am sometimes), how can those parts visually interact
- how can GUIs be made more flexible than they are right now. Mozilla
extensions are far more flexible by having an underlying functions engine
(the heart of the application) and an easily adaptable, skinable, scriptable
GUI. Don't we need something similar?
- what is the relation between webapplications and desktop applications? Will
the desktop be only a shell to run firefox in or is there more? And what do
we want to be the value KDE adds to the picture?

IMHO it needs people who don't only think in details (though details are
important too), but who also see the overall picture and who think even
beyond it. To sum it up: we need visionaries.

Greetings,
eva

> how many developers do we want? what are the qualities we are looking for
> to compliment the project?

basysKom GmbH
The Software Development Company
Dipl.-Ing. Eva Brucherseifer