Amarok Promo Team is looking for help

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:08:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Eelko Berkenpies <fedora at berkenpies.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 01:04:50 -0800, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks, now that 2.2.2 is about to roll, how about helping the Promo
>> team get the word out? Of course we need writers, but we also could
>> use
>>
>> * a wiki expert (our wiki has some WAY out-of-date pages)
>> * someone who loves taking good screenshots (old screenshots:
>> http://amarok.kde.org/screenshots)
>> * someone to comb the forum, mail list, bug list and irc logs for
>> most-asked questions
>> * Handbook writers and editors
>> * Amarok Insider writers and editors
>>
>> We already have a great team, but doing all the work that really needs
>> doing will stretch us pretty thin. Better to find some new
>> team-members, so we can all work to our strengths, and have fun!
>>
>> Drop by our IRC channel irc://irc.freenode.net/rokymotion
>> Join the mail list: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/amarok-promo
>>
>> I look forward to working with you,
>>
>> Valorie
>

> Hi Valorie,
>
> I'd be happy to help where I can. For example, I could create some new
> screenshots if you like (please let me know what you need)? As for the
> other issues, I'm not sure were I can help out. I'm a GIT user and actively
> following the development of Amarok (lurking the dev lists, trying to
> understand the GIT commits and obviously I'm recompiling Amarok on a
> regular base).
>
> Once in a while I go through Bugzilla to see if I can help out on open
> tickets and such.
>
> During the weekend I hang out in #amarok (and sometimes workdays too,
> unfortunately irc is not allowed at work else I'd be hanging out there
> more).
>
> As for writing stuff, English is not my native language (as you might have
> noticed already) and therefor I'm not sure if I'm the right person to help
> on e.g. a release announcement or other promotional activities. I'm not a
> man of many words either. ;)

> In a nutshell, if you would like me to do something, let me know and I'll
> see what I can do. :)

For now, we need to think about what we want in the way of a Handbook.
How should it be organized, presented? What would be most helpful to
the new user? The thinking and planning come long before the writing
and screenshots, although I'm hoping this entire process is pretty
quick.

As you are scrolling though Bugzilla, how about noticing what comes up
over and over again? And what sort of answer is the most effective?
Make notes, and send those to the Promo list or here, when you feel
like it.

There is lots of great stuff already written, and I would appreciate
notice of those excellent bits, too. No need to re-write what is
already done.

Valorie
--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .