no sound

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue Aug 3 07:40:55 UTC 2010

Hi Thufir,

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 08:08, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 01:30 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 3. August 2010 schrieb Thufir Hawat:
> [...]
>> > Not sure what to click on to test the sound settings.
>>
>> The usual question at this level of available information is: do you have the
>> necessary codecs installed?
> [...]
>
> Presumably, as internet radio and other sound works under gnome mplayer
> (codecs are installed to the system?).  As suggested, I played a .ogg
> with amarok.  What I did was to right click a .ogg file and selected
> "open with amarok", played fine :)

Amarok uses phonon and normally the backend in use is xine, so you
need the codecs for that backend. mplayer uses gstramer, which has
it's own codecs.

You sadly didn't say what distribution you use, but check for
libxine1-ffmpeg if you have a Debian based distribution.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org