Amarok 1.4 collection and artwork importing

Pedro de Carvalho Gomes pedrogomes81 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 18:16:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> Pedro de Carvalho Gomes wrote:
>> Thanks Guðlaugur.
>>
>> This "Import Collection" name is just one of my points. The name
>> mislead me to think that it should import my entire collection. And
>> the second point is that it indeed imports my A1 collection partially
>> . I've shown how this happens on my last e-mail.
>>
>> Anyway, I still believe that maybe "Import Collection" can be used to
>> import the entire collection.
>

> It's nice that you continue to believe that. But despite your totally
> unfounded belief, you're factually wrong. The "partial" imports are
> likely due to the importer doing things it shouldn't, which is
> populating data with only partial consistency, and the importer should
> be fixed to ignore those things. The reason you see partial collections
> is because the collection browser is getting bad and inconsistent data
> back from queries, not because you're only getting part of the
> collection imported and it's magically skipping some tracks.

Man, don't mix my suggestion with the bug. If you can't see, they are
two different things. If you don't agree with my suggestion, ignores
it and try to focus on the bug. I've already admitted that I'm new to
Amarok code, that I've made some confusion about the collection
imported, have explained the reason, and have moved forward. If it
stills bothers you, I'm sorry.

> I honestly don't understand why you won't listen to the actual facts
> being told to you by the main Amarok developer working on the SQL
> collection -- specifically the scanning and database schema and
> insertion parts of it.

What you've told me was that files SHOULD be rescaned because the
unique ID schema depends on data from the files, that are not
available at A1 database. Just it. If you have bothered to read the
message without stones on your hand, you would have seen that I  ask
the feasibility to use the URLs from a query to the the A1 database as
input to the collection scanner, as an alternative to the directories
selected at the treeview. I've stated to rescan each file, NOT to
REUSE any A1 data at all. Those are distinct things.

>> I've understood that all files should be
>> rescaned, but I think that the valid Urls returned from the SQL query
>> could be used as the input of the rescan, as an alternative to the
>> directories chosen at the "Collection Folders" treeview. This way the
>> import Tool would mark the collection folders. Again, If someone has a
>> constructive opinion about this, I would really appreciate.
>
> You want to be constructive? Fix the importer to not import partial and
> unusable fragments of data, i.e. fix it to only import statistics, and
> update the dialog that shows when you press Import Collection to not
> suggest that it will import track information. Then send a merge request.

I really do want to be constructive. I've been very clear about this
since my first to my last e-mails. And all my messages have been quiet
polite and well-toned. I've presented at least three different
situations at them (the partial import bug, my "idiot" suggestion and
the misleading button name). But you've chosen to mock my first
e-mail, and then to attack me because of the suggestion on the other
ones, instead of looking at the big picture.

Anyway, let's try to start over again: I'm new to Amarok code, I've
found a case that causes a bug, and I'd like to help to solve it.
Would you, or anyone one else, help me to fix this?

Cheers,

Pedro