Amarok 1.4 collection and artwork importing

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 23:49:57 UTC 2009

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Pedro de Carvalho Gomes wrote:
>> I don't really agree with the use of the collection import for
>> statistics only. I can enumerate some reasons:
>
> It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. The schema has changed in
> many fundamental ways and there is not a good way to map everything 1:1.

By the by. One of the ways it has changed is in the unique identifiers
used to, err, uniquely identify each track.

To figure out the appropriate A2 identifier each track would need to be
scanned, since it's based upon contents of the file and the algorithm
has changed since A1. There is no way to upconvert.

Therefore every file *must* be scanned with the A2 collection scanner
regardless of whether you've imported every detail of every track or not
from the A1 database, at which time the scanner can (and should) also
read fresh details of all the other tags. Therefore there is no point in
converting all these throwaway details over, no effort will be made to
convert these, and any patch that implements such behavior will be
discarded as useless.

QED.

P.S.: You could make a case that whatever dialog is shown when Import
Collection is selected should detail what will actually be imported, so
that the user is aware of this.