Amarok 1.4 collection and artwork importing

Pedro de Carvalho Gomes pedrogomes81 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:53:28 UTC 2009

I don't really agree with the use of the collection import for
statistics only. I can enumerate some reasons:

- First, the button "Import Collection" is side by side with "Fully
Rescan Collection", indicating that both are distinct methods to
populate your Local Collection Database. Also, when you mention
"collection", it implies the filenames, statistics, ratings, artwork,
playlists (I'm planning to implement this). Users are leaded to
believe that all information would be present at the new collection.

- Today the consequence of using "Import Collection" is that only a
part of songs are imported. It misleads users and they could think
that they did something wrong, or that they've lost data.

- I would prefer to import all files from Amarok 1.4 than to fully
rescan my disc because search for files at disc may consume too much
time and my machine start trashing. Also, why would I want to rescan
if I believe I already have a reliable source of information (Amarok
1.4 database).

I'd like experienced developers to consider this points, because I
believe that importation should be able to make the transition from
Amarok 1.4 (or even iTunes) to Amarok 2 as smooth as possible.

Cheers,

Pedro