Adding Twitter support in Internet Services for Amarok

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:19:05 UTC 2009

Hi!

A few days back, I'd visited the IRC channel to discuss this idea, of
integrating Twitter with the Internet Services framework in Amarok.
Due to college exams, I was unable to work on the idea, and hence,
this mail comes a little late.

I'd love to implement a feature similar to the Last.fm Love a track,
where the user can click on a button and their Twitter profile will
get updated with the track info for the song that is being played
currently (i.e., we post a tweet :) ).  The simplest way to implement
this, would be to create a Scripted Service.  Correct me if I am wrong
here, but this will post every song that the user listens to, which
will be spamming his timeline with tweets about his songs.  So that
would leave an option of writing a script/plugin similar to Last.fm,
which, as I mentioned above, will be triggered by the user.

I have done a little web development at an internship, so I have a
working knowledge of Javascript.  I also am well acquainted with the
Twitter API (though I admit it isn't too difficult/vast at the
moment).  I will need lots of help with the Amarok source, as I have
never worked in Qt, C++ and the KDE libraries :).  Please point me to
a few resources that I can start off with, so that I can understand
the necessary part of the code before I begin to actually write some
code.  Also, this is my first attempt at contributing to an open
source project, so please correct me when I screw up.  I've been a
happy user of Amarok for almost 2 years now, and would like to give
back to the community. :)

Thanx for all the help!

Ninad S. Pundalik
http://twitter.com/ninadsp

PS: At the moment, my idea is to implement this with Basic
Authentication for Twitter.  However, I also have a rough idea of how
to implement it with OAuth.  Will work on it as I figure out things
around here.