Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Dima Panov Fluffy at fluffy.khv.ru
Tue Oct 6 23:02:22 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 22:35:31 Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 October 2009, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> As many of you know, the KDE integration with PulseAudio is severely
> >> lacking right now. As PulseAudio adoption is now more or less across the
> >> board and as companies like Intel, Palm and (most interestingly) Nokia
> >> are currently heavily investing in PA (see Jyri's slides from the LPC
> >> conference (http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/program/) last week for
> >> example), the lack of integration in KDE is obviously something that
> >> needs addressed.
> >
> > Considering of how litte use pulseaudio is, it mostly just seems like a
> > waste of time. I mean how many people actually use networked audio? To
> > point out the absurdity; HTTP-proxies are not working in KDE4, and they
> > are needed by a lot more people than network-transparent audio.
> >
> >> Take care and please only post constructive criticism :)
> >
> > Okay, I will try to be constructive: Most issues with pulseaudio can be
> > easily solved by simply uninstalling pulseaudio.
> >
> > You sound like you care, so please explain: Why are you using pulseaudio?
> > Do you really have a classic networked X11/audio setup and need network-
> > transparent audio?
> >
> > When we got rid  of aRts, one of the things we considered was how to
> > solve the need for networked audio after aRts was gone, but we quickly
> > realized that no- one was actually using networked audio. So why is
> > pulseaudio being pushed by so many people?
> >
> > It really seems to like somekind of mistake, perhaps strengthed by
> > various broken alsa setups where a sound-daemon appears to solve the
> > problem. Helping people configure ALSA correctly would probably be a lot
> > easier than supporting an extra layer of abstraction (and source of bugs)
> > that no one needs.
>
> I have to agree with Allan here, without meaning to be insulting to
> PulseAudio's developers.
>
> From my point of view, PulseAudio is causing more problems than it
> solves. The issues with ALSA should be solved in ALSA itself. Or we
> could investigate using OSS 4.

Just my 2¢: ALSA exist only in linux. PulseAudio runs over any driver (ALSA, OSS, OSSv4,
sunaudio) fine with non-broken hald configuration, and give a very good functionality.

--
Dima "Red Fox" Panov @ Home | C73E 2B72 1FFD 61BD E206 1234 A626 76ED 93E3 B018
Khabarovsk, Russia          | 2D30 2CCB 9984 130C 6F87 BAFC FB8B A09D D539 8F29