Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 4 19:47:56 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

As Amarok is one of the major users of Phonon, I figured this list was
an appropriate place to request some testing. If the powers that be feel
this is too off topic, I fully respect this and will not labour the point :)

As many of you know, the KDE integration with PulseAudio is severely
lacking right now. As PulseAudio adoption is now more or less across the
board and as companies like Intel, Palm and (most interestingly) Nokia
are currently heavily investing in PA (see Jyri's slides from the LPC
conference (http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/program/) last week for
example), the lack of integration in KDE is obviously something that
needs addressed.

So I've done a lot of work to make everything play nice together and am
working with Martin Sandsmark, and Matthias Kretz to get the Phonon and
KDE side of things merged in (the pulse stuff I'll merge myself to git
master shortly). But in doing so, I'd love to get a bit of feedback.

The process is somewhat complicated, as it requires patches to
pulseaudio, phonon and kderuntime to work :)

I've written about it here (please give it a read before trying!):
http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/10/kde-plus-pulseaudio-does-not-equal-sucks/

All my work can be found here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/pulseaudio/log/?h=history
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/phonon/log/?h=pulse
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/runtime/log/?h=pulse

I've applied all these patches to the Mandriva Cooker packages, and for
convenience you can grab rolled up patches for the above are here:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/pulseaudio/current/SOURCES/0200-Module-Device-Manager-in-development.patch?view=markup
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/phonon/current/SOURCES/phonon-4.3-pulseaudio.patch?view=markup
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/kdebase4-runtime/current/SOURCES/kdebase-runtime-4.3.1-backend-globalconfig.patch?view=markup

Feel free to leave feedback on my blog, as that seems less hijacky than
abusing this amarok list :)

Take care and please only post constructive criticism :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie