Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 14 10:18:32 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Jud Craft at 13/05/09 22:29 did gyre and gimble:
> Hey, hold the phone.  I keep all my music on a FAT partition _and_ it
> plays with Amarok2 (2.0.2) on Fedora, with Pulse.  I highly doubt this
> is Pulse, and I have as much evidence as anyone else does.

I think a lot of the recommendations re pulse in this regard stem from
poor combinations.

IMO, xine and pulse do not play all that well together, where as
gstreamer and pulse play very nicely together. While it's not going to
hold true for everyone, I get much better sound, no skips and no blips
when using gstreamer+pulse which is not true with xine+pulse (it's not
terrible and it does work for the most part, just not a smoothly as with
gstreamer).

So if a general recommendation is "use the xine backend", I can see it
following that "remove pulse" is also a recommendation.

I look forward to the day when the gstreamer backend is made to kick
ass, and I finally get around to getting the necessary backend logic
into pulse to make the system settings GUI for a system running on top
of pulse kick ass (after I hack that too).

One day it will work perfectly! (for me right now It actually works very
well using gstreamer+pulse, but the whole UI in system settings is
totally crippled and pointless due to this setup and everyone's systems
are different which is what makes this so much fun! When I'm done the UI
in system settings will look much the same as it does now for a
non-pulse setup which should keep people happy).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie